Burrinja Gallery is currently closed as part of our internal redevelopment project. This project will be completed in early 2020, for more information click here.
Registration 9 -24 Aug
Launch event 11am Sat 12 Oct
Exhibition Oct 12 – Nov 12
Artwork collection Nov 15 – 23
Upwey Main Street
Adult $10 (includes board)
14 & Under $5 (includes board)
The Upwey Archies
Bringing together the creative voices and vision of our community, this project is a celebration of the people of Upwey.
Inspired by the Archibald Prize and ‘Not The Archies’, the Upwey Archies is a community portrait project.
This is your chance to create an original artwork celebrating someone special to you or to the hills, and be in the running for six awards with mystery prizes like theatre tickets and meals in Upwey.
The Upwey Township Group, in partnership with Burrinja, are thrilled to present The Upwey Archies 2019.
How it works…
1. Head to Burrinja between August 9 -17 to pay the registration fee, collect a canvas and registration form. Burrinja is open Tuesday to Saturday 10am - 2pm.
2. Create a portrait of a person that is important to you on the canvas provided.
3. Complete your Artwork Description on line by following the link in your confirmation of registration email.
4. Complete the information on the back of your canvas.
5. Drop off your finished and dry artwork at Burrinja between September 28 and October 5 (Burrinja will not accept wet or damp artwork).
6. Attend the launch and award presentation ceremony, 11am Saturday October 12 at the Upwey Village Green (near the playground).
7. Bring your friends and family to Upwey to see your artwork on display from October 12 and November 12.
8. Collect your artwork from Burrinja between November 15 – 23. (No responsibility will be taken for works not collected by this date)
The Upwey Archies is an exhibition of portraits featured in the windows of Upwey Traders until 12 November.
2018 artwork highlights
SUN 25 AUG 5PM
Two Floors Studio
1662 Burwood Highway, Belgrave (Enter via Blacksmiths Way)
Scratch it up @ Two Floors Studio
Join the performing artists of this year's hillsceneLIVE program in a playful presentation of short works including dance, circus, poetry, improvisation and storytelling. This free Sunday session is for those that like an adventure with their wine.
THU 29 AUG 8PM
The Fat Goat, Upwey
Are you spending hours alone in the studio…?
Do you want to meet other artists? Discuss creative ideas? Develop new artistic networks?
Here’s your chance to get out, have some fun and talk shop with other local artists with Friday night drinks!
Burrinja invites you to our local Artist Social.
With the Dandenong Ranges rich and abundant cultural landscape Burrinja’s WAM events are a great opportunity to develop new creative networks, find out about potential opportunities and connect with your local arts community.
Artists of all art forms are invited
Open Studios Weekend
SAT 9 & SUN 10 MAY 2020
APRIL/ MAY 2020
dates to be announced
Come and explore the secrets of the Dandenong Range’s with this creative and inspiring cultural experience. The Dandenong Ranges Open Studios takes you down the fern lined lanes of the hills to discover a selection of the most intriguing studios. Explore and connect with artists, ignite your creative imagination and step into the hidden gems, curious constructions and awe inspiring spaces of the artists’ creative environments.
Visit the exhibition at the Burrinja Gallery and select the studios that most intrigue or inspire you. You will have the unique opportunity to purchase artwork and hand crafted items directly from the artists, informed by new insight into their creative world.
Dandenong Ranges Open Studios is the biggest creative 'Open Door' of the region.
OPEN STUDIOS WEEKEND
Visit studios between 10am and 5pm during the Open Weekend.
SAT 9 & SUN 10 MAY 2020